It is crucial to comprehend the operation and how it may affect your vision before having retinal surgery or a vitrectomy. Here are a few queries you might think about posing to your physician:
1. Why specifically is vitrectomy or retinal surgery recommended in my case? Ask your doctor to describe the retinal problem or underlying condition that requires surgery. You can better grasp the prospective advantages and results if you comprehend the surgery’s intended goal.
2. How will the procedure be carried out on the retina? Ask for a thorough explanation of the surgical procedure, including the steps and tools used. Inquire about the type of anaesthesia being used, the anticipated length of the process, and if the surgery will be done as an inpatient or outpatient treatment.
3. What are the potential risks and side effects of vitrectomy or retinal surgery? Ask your surgeon about any potential adverse effects or problems that might occur after the procedure, such eye infection, haemorrhage, retinal detachment, elevated intraocular pressure, or the development of cataracts. You may make an informed choice and be ready for the recovery time if you are aware of the hazards involved.
4. What are the anticipated results of the procedure? Speak with your surgeon about the potential enhancements in your eyesight or the resolution of any retinal problems. Ask about the likelihood of recovering or maintaining eyesight, as well as any potential restrictions or long-term repercussions.
5. How long does it take to recover and receive postoperative care? Learn about the postoperative care guidelines, such as the prescription of eye drops or drugs, the restrictions placed on physical activity, and the recovery period for vision. Ask about the regularity of follow-up appointments as well as any possible symptoms or indicators that require emergency medical attention.
It is crucial to keep in mind that these inquiries are only meant to serve as a jumping off point for your conversation with your doctor. Your doctor will address any questions or concerns you may have about your vitrectomy or retinal surgery in detail and offer personalised responses based on your unique condition.
At The Eye Center- Dr. Mahnaz Naveed Shah & Associates our team of eight ophthalmology subspecialists/ eye specialists, eye surgeons who are considered amongst the very best eye specialists in Karachi and in Pakistan, have the diagnostic and treatment capabilities to treat from the simplest to the most complex patients. We work hard to provide our patients with the best possible medical and surgical eye care, in a state of the art purpose built eye care facility. We offer the entire array of medical, laser and surgical treatments to help provide patients the best possible care in the most efficient, safe and ethical manner.
If you need an appointment, please contact us at 03041119544 during our working hours or leave us a WhatsApp message at +923028291799 and someone will connect with you. Walk-in appointments are also available for emergencies. We can also be reached through our web portal on www.surgicaleyecenter.org