Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) has several advantages for treating glaucoma, including:
- Effective at reducing intraocular pressure (IOP): SLT is effective at reducing IOP, which is the main goal of glaucoma treatment.
- Minimal side effects: SLT has fewer side effects than other glaucoma treatments, such as eye drops or surgery. The most common side effect is temporary inflammation in the eye.
- Non-invasive: SLT is a non-invasive procedure that does not require any incisions or injections.
- Repeatable: SLT can be repeated if necessary, unlike some other glaucoma treatments that can only be performed once.
- No need for medication: SLT can reduce or eliminate the need for glaucoma medication, which can be costly and have side effects.
- Quick and convenient: The SLT procedure is quick and convenient, usually taking less than 5-10 minutes, and patients can resume normal activities immediately afterwards.